Sunday, September 03, 2006

Mt Rainier Wonderland Trail

The Studly Hubby and I decided to drive out of the city a bit today and go for a hike. We bought a hiking book on Thursday that has over 60 hikes that are within 2 hrs driving from Seattle. That was a little overwhelming, I've never been located near so many outdoor hiking opportunities (the midwest has some nice trails, don't get me wrong, but they're not quite as plethoriffic as here).

So we chose to go to Mount Rainier (a picture from the trail, top right, shows Mt Rainier in the background - we didn't actually get all that close), and take part of The Wonderland Trail (an 80+ trail that goes all the way around Mount Rainier, we just did a little stretch of it). The trail we were on had some great views and took us under trees that went right up to the Care Bears' house in the clouds (pic of me standing next to one such tree on the left - wow!). We had to go over this crazy suspension bridge (pic below) that freaked everyone out but we did good and made it across without any panic attacks or directional impairment. The trail was 7 miles, which shouldn't take four hours but somehow did - I think you go a lot slower when the trail isn't paved or flat. So four hours later we were sweaty and exhausted but totally delirious with the fun that was to be had. We then drove through the Washington countryside (weird) back to our humble home in Seattle.

While we were out we passed a lot of dirty-looking backpackers that looked like they may be doing the whole 80+ mile trail - what a trip! We were pooped after only 7 miles, imagine repeating that over and over till you had gone 80!! And sleeping on the ground in between! With no showers! I don't think I could do that. My version of "rugged" is a small cabin with a moldy shower. I don't consider myself prissy, but I suppose I am in that regard. I can't imagine something that would be so fun that it would be worth all that trouble.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful photos! I especially love the big trees. Beach too! See any otters, whales or dolphins? Fish?

Peggy
(have to comment anonymously for a bit)

J-Funk said...

Ummmm, no. I've never seen an otter, whale or dolphin so probably wouldn't even recognize it.

No fish either, although there are a lot of fish markets here.

Why do you have to post anonymously? Are you going undercover??

Anonymous said...

I switched to Blogger-beta and now I can't comment in a blog that isn't Blogger-beta until they fix the bug. There's a reason it's called "beta". If you didn't allow anonymous comments, I couldn't even do THAT!

I bet there are whale watching boat trips available and/or guiding hikes to see the otters (otters hang out in kelp beds)

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...