Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Responsibility

Now that I'm An Adult, I feel this constant weight of pressure on me to "get things done" all the time. It's not just me; I hear this term constantly all around me. Every night, I rush home and try to get stuff done before my brain shuts down and the world blacks out for my ritual 9 hours.

When I was a kid, I never stressed about "getting things done." I wouldn't make lists and run errands all weekend. I actually enjoyed the holidays without having to remind myself to. I would lounge around in a hammock all afternoon and not feel even slightly guilty about it. And I didn't ever have to talk myself into taking time out to visit friends or play outside.

But, I also had a totally trashed out room, never wrote thank-you cards, and didn't have to go to the store or cook food (I was doing dishes and laundry at an early age, but I guess it wasn't enough to stress me out). I think it was my mindset. I didn't feel the weight of responsibility. The scientist in me tells me it's because our brains aren't fully developed yet as young-uns. I think this is true. At some point in my life my brain expanded and I became Responsible.

So now I am always trying to remind myself to do what I was already good at when I was young: enjoy the moment. But stay responsible. Use that extra-brain-part to "get things done" but then shut it off and blog a little.

No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...