Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Around the Water Cooler

In the style of Ms. Tink, here goes an Around the Water Cooler bit (except I have to add a little backstory first):

My Studly Hubby is a longtime fan of the Tick. The Tick, for those of you nerds who are hopelessly out of touch, is a contemporary comic book hero around which a popular Sat morning cartoon was based in the mid-90s and a doomed prime-time live-action TV show was done recently. My Studly Hubby's parents sent of DVDs of both the cartoon and live-action shows for Christmas. While the live-action show is almost unwatchable, the cartoon is pretty freaking hilarious. The show we watched Sunday night involved a chef supervillain ("the Breadmaster") who was trying to take over the world with a giant souffle, which was set like a bomb to go off at a certain time. Unable to diffuse the bomb-souffle in time, the Tick and his buddies came up with a plan to make a noise that would deflate the giant souffle and therefore saved the world. I immediately asked the Studly Hubby "how does that work?" and he explained that souffles are very sensitive when they are rising and you actually have to be quiet around them to make sure they don't deflate. Wow! I never knew. Anyway, now for the Aroud the Watercooler bit:

Coworker1: I have to wear goggles when I use the homogenizer because I'm afraid if it breaks I'll get bacteria sprayed in my face.
Coworker2: Really? Do you try not to talk to anyone too?
Me: Oh is the homogenizer sensitive to sound?
Coworker1 and Coworker2: (gape)
Coworker2: No, you don't want to talk because you could get bacteria in your mouth.
Me: Oh!
Coworker1: Why did you think it would be sensitive to sound?
Me: Well my Studly Hubby and I were watching a show last night where the supervillain was going to take over the world with a giant souffle but the hero made it deflate by producing a lot of noise...
Coworker1 and Coworker2: (gape some more, for a bit longer this time)
Coworker2: (starts laughing hysterically)
Coworker1: (politely laughs, then sneaks away)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!!! I'm laughing my ass off right now...

Tink said...

*Snort*

I wish you worked with ME.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...