Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Funky Mayonnaise Cake

For our great evening watching Superman (see below), my Studly Hubby and I desperately wanted some chocolate cake. So I thought, maybe I could make some...

Which is never a good idea.

First, I got in the way of my Studly Hubby's elbow while I was looking for a pan. I was ok after some ice, but then almost immediately dropped a glass measuring cup on the floor. It miraculously survived, but then I realized too late that we didn't have enough cocoa, so I substituted some Mexican chocolate. After it was all mixed together I found out that I was using a strange recipe for an eggless and butterless cake that uses Mayo instead (I hadn't intended to do this, we have plenty of eggs and butter, but I didn't really look at the recipe before I started following it). Problem: we don't have Mayo. Instead of Mayo we use Nayonnaise, which is a soy alternative that tastes somewhat like Mayonnaise but a little different (I like it better). So I dumped a cup of Nayonnaise in the mix and hoped for the best.

The batter was disgusting.

This was a huge disappointment, because I love batter and was kind of excited about finally being free of egg-worry and being able to eat batter to my heart's content.

My Studly Hubby convinced me to bake it anyway (the oven was already on) so we baked it up, without much hope for a miraculous recovery.

But when it was finally done, it was DELICIOUS!! There was only the slightest hint of soy-mayo taste, and it was very moist and light. Plus we could convince ourselves that it was a little bit healthy (or maybe... healthier than regular cake).

1 comment:

Newt said...

we once had a cocoa cola chocolate cake. We were slightly skeptical thinking it would be too sweet but it was yummy. And vinegar goes into the batter of deep fried twinkies - who would have guessed.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...