Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Nostalgic or Lethargic?

I wrote the word "nostalgic" in my last post which made me remember a story from when I was a kid. When I was a kid, I got a lot of words mixed up (this is apparently common to people with attention deficit disorder, like me). Two such words were nostalgic and lethargic. One time when I was about twelve our dog was acting lethargic so I called the vet clinic to ask them whether we should bring them in. When they asked what our dog's symptoms were I said, "well he's been acting very nostalgic for the last couple of days..." There was a long pause, then the technician on the line said, "...do you mean lethargic?" Now when I think back on that, I wonder if the technician might have actually tried to picture a nostalgic dog before figuring out what I meant.

I also used to think for some reason that the word "jaywalking" meant "prostitution" (somehow someone must have confused me because these two words are nothing alike). One time when I was in middle school there was a story in the news about a blind man who got ticketed for jaywalking. Everyone was in a fit because it's not very fair for a blind man to get a ticket, although the police thought the guy should have to follow the law just like everyone else. I completely misinterpreted the story though. I thought the blind man was prostituting, and everyone was in a fit because blind men aren't normally prostitutes. Whenever I volunteered my opinion that this guy should have known he would get a ticket for jaywalking (translation: prostitution) since it is in fact illegal... I got more than a few weird looks.

5 comments:

The Mop said...

But Jaywalking and prostitution are both "street-walking"..... Now in a sentence.

"I am lethargic for street-walking with my dog."

Anonymous said...

Aha! That must be where I got confused. Mystery solved!

I like that sentence and vow to try to use it at least once every day.

Newt said...

Good point from the mop. That's too funny.

arial said...

My mom has a cookbook called "Nutbread and Nostalgia" but as a kid one time I called it "Nutbread and Nostalogy", my sisters still make fun of me whenever I'm home and that cookbook comes out.

J-Funk said...

Arial: wow, if I had sisters that made fun of me for screwing up words they would have to write a dictionary-sized book to keep track of them all. Good thing I don't have any sisters.

Nostalogy is pretty cute though.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...