Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Christmas Tree Nostalgia

So how long can you leave a Christmas tree up after Christmas? I think New Years is the general rule (does that mean through New Years Day? because I saw a lot of Christmas trees still up on the night of New Years Day...). Our tree is so pretty though that I want to leave it up all year. I think I'll compromise with myself. We put some white lights up along our fireplace mantel that look very pretty - I think I'll leave those up all year, or at least the rest of the winter. I think lights are very helpful during the gloomy winter months - it's too bad a lot of people take their lights down right after New Years because I consider January just as in need of lights as December.

3 comments:

Newt said...

My simple and understated light display outside is staying up all winter. It's white lights, a deer and a few twinkling snowmen. NOT very Christmas oriented. And you are right, it's cheerier to look at. I noticed the other night how dark and dreary our neighborhood looks now that everyone shut off their lights. We shall remain the beacon of hope :-)

Anonymous said...

Funny you should bring this up. Jennie was just telling me that she read it used to be the tradition to leave the tree up until January 6th, which is epiphany (i.e. the day the Wise Men came to Bethlehem). Also, the "12 day of Christmas" refers to the time after Christmas until Epiphany, not the 12 days before as most people (myself included) think. Everyone in town then used to put all of their trees in a big pile on January 6th and have a huge bon fire and party. I wish we still did that.

Why do we know so much about epiphany-she's getting induced tomorrow so it will be baby #3's new birthday!

Xtreme English said...

i used to leave our christmas tree up until the 2nd of february, which is candlemas day (or groundhog's day, depending on which kind of church you go to), and the OFFICIAL END OF CHRISTMAS SEASON! sometimes if the tree got really dry and dangerous, i'd take it down before that.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...