Thursday, January 25, 2007

Life Update

We finally finished moving at work and have gotten back to the daily grind, although we're all a little worn thin because of it. The new space is beautiful; large windows overlooking the water and a view of the mountain, a lot of room for everybody, and new benches and chairs to work at. Plus we've been mingled in with two other labs that are incredibly nice and friendly - they remind me of my old lab in MN (I miss you guys still!). So as I recover from the trauma of the move I'm hoping for the best for the future.

We've also officially started dog-shopping at some local shelters and started off with an immediate rejection from a shelter for an application for a super-cute apricot miniature poodle. Apparently they didn't appreciate the fact that my husband and I will both be gone all day and that our yard is only 'partially fenced' (it needs a gate). I was kind of blown away that they are able to be so picky with shelter dogs. I think about everyone I know that has dogs works all day (or did at one time) - and I work nearby and have a pretty flexible schedule so it's about as good as it gets - so I'm wondering who it is they are adopting the dogs to that doesn't work all day. Plus a lot of people here in Seattle don't even have yards (and I know several of them that still have dogs). Anyhow I'm trying not to get too down about it, and we are going to persist. A friend of mine who is familiar with the pickiness of rescue groups (she used to volunteer for one) recommended that we emphasize the flexibility of my schedule, and I think I might go ahead and say that our yard is totally fenced since we plan to put a gate up if we get a dog anyway. It's really hard being scrutinized like this though.

Speaking of a flexible schedule, I better hop off to work before it gets too late.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Lots of shelters will be asking you about this. This is why when I went for a rescue dog (and bless your heart for going that route) I said that the dog would be coming with me to work each day, and she does. Some dogs really freak out about it and rip the house to bits or make puddles and piles to show their displeasure. Keep looking, you'll find a match that is best for you and for the dog. Good luck!

Newt said...

It's pretty normal for "good" shelters to be really picky. They want an already neglected/abused dog to have some sort of good quality of living. That's NOT to say that working all day is abuse. Just really stress the flexibility of your schedule, tell them you go home for lunch every day. (regardless of reality) A fence is often really important for a rescue because some tend to be runners. They are so afraid that their only defence is to run. The dog we have now was adopted a little over a year ago by someone but she ran the second day they had her and it took them several weeks to trap her. The woman didn't want her back for fear she would just do it again. So, don't take it personally, they just want to make sure that their dogs go to very good homes and the only way they can fend off some of the typical problems is to insist on things like fenced yards. Don't let this disuade you. Shelter dogs are amazing. And they tend to be mutts, which trends toward healthier lives with less problems. One of our dogs was attached to me the day we brought her home and never leaves my side. It never even ocurred to her to run. So don't think that all shelter dogs are trouble. You'll find the right one. And you will know it the second you meet. She/He will pick you probably more than the other way around.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...