Sunday, August 27, 2006

Where do I live?


I was actually back in Seattle today so I thought I'd venture around a bit and see a few things. The Studly Hubby and I have some major plans to tour by car over Labor Day weekend so we thought we'd do the walking tour today. It turns out, you can walk to a lot from our apartment. Today we went to Fremont, an artsy neighborhood to the West of us. We first went to the Fremont market, which I thought was going to be a farmer's market but turned out was more of a flea market that had everything from used clothes to bongs, with some really nice artwork and furniture in between. That was surprisingly fun. The Fremont Market is right next to our co-op, the PCC, and around the corner are a few blocks of trendy restaraunts and shops, so we walked around the neighborhood a bit and scoped it all out.

We next walked up the hill to visit the Fremont Troll (shown above), which is a huge troll under a highway bridge that is clutching an actual Volkswagon Beetle. I think the troll may have swiped the Beetle from the highway above (although the plates have since been stolen so this happened a while ago). The troll, who clearly posed a danger to the neighborhood of Fremont, was turned into concrete some time ago so is frozen in time under the bridge.

We also found a Fremont Walking Tour Guide near the troll (the troll is obviously a major tourist attraction, trolls are rare in the US); apparently there are outdoor movies playing at dusk all summer somewhere in Fremont that we intend to try out (summer is almost over though! The last one is Labor Day Weekend). Then we walked home, had some food, and drove up to Target. The Target we went to has a super-cool cart escalator, so your shopping cart can have a super-fun time riding up and down the escalator while you ride on a normal human escalator beside it. We are big-city-livin' folks that have already seen a cart escalator at the Minneapolis downtown Target, so we were only mildly impressed. We spent some good money at Target though, then came home and filled up our apartment with all our new things.

I think Seattle is going to grow on me.

Did I tell you that roses bloom all summer here?? It's incredible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I remember seeing that troll on our honeymoon! Cool!

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...