Sunday, August 13, 2006

Gas Works Park

We finally got out a bit this weekend to do some Seattle adventuring and discovered that we are within walking distance of the most beautiful park, Gas Works Park, and a spectacular lake, Green Lake. To the left is a picture we took of the old gas plant that is right in the middle of the park, making it one of the "strangest parks in the country" according to the Seattle Times. When we first walked into the park from the Burke-Gilman trail, which takes us from our apartment to the park (or from our apartment to my work, depending on which way you go), we saw the remains of this old plant and wondered what the deal was, but when we walked past the plant we gasped in wonder - the park overlooks Lake Union and downtown, the Queen Anne and Capitol Hill neighborhoods, and goes right up to the water (as shown in the two other pics we took, check out the space needle and downtown Seattle in the background). I guess the old plant was left in place to add to the aesthetic appeal (??) of the place.


The other places we adventured to today were the Seattle Chipotle (within walking distance of our apt of course, in the U-district), and Green Lake. Green Lake is my nemesis. It's a beautiful lake about a mile from our apt and my goal is to run there, run around it, and run home (only about 5 miles, and not too hilly). Last weekend I made it there and about halfway around it. This weekend I made it there and 3/4 of the way around it. I'm going to kick its ass one of these days though! You'll see! Then I'll brag and brag. One thing I really like about Green Lake is that there are a million-billion dogs there of all sorts, all looking very happy.

1 comment:

Uncle KT said...

Gary got a kick out of the erotic bakery!

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...