Monday, August 28, 2006

Getting back on the wagon

I seriously fell off the wagon when I moved out to Seattle. I'm a former spin instructor, devoted yoga taker, attempted yoga teacher, and fairly consistent runner, or at least I was in Minneapolis. The new Seattle me had forgotten all that. I'm afraid to drive in Seattle, therefore yoga is impossible (I could walk to the studio but my previous experience tells me it may be hard walking home afterwards). I can't find any spin classes here, it seems they don't do that or even know what it is. I suppose when you can bike outside in the winter there isn't any need for that crazy indoor biking (but I like spin classes even in the summer! They're sooooo good!). I kept up on the running, but it's so damn hard here with all those hills... and then I went to New York for a week and was wooed away from running by all the beer.

So I figured, I am here permanently now (I haven't gotten fired yet, so things are looking pretty good). I need to get back on the wagon. I'm frightened of heading straight back to the yoga studio so I did a bit in my living room tonight (first I shut the blinds, you don't want the neighbors talking...). It went well. I didn't fall, pull a muscle or break out into terrified screaming, not once. It wasn't too rigorous though either. Maybe that'll be for Wednesday night.

Tomorrow I'm going to try that running thing again. The Studly Hubby and I have discovered the Hill of Death, which is only about seven blocks long and isn't too steep when you first look at it, but kicks everyone's ass in the end. I want to someday get all the way up that hill without throwing up or falling over. I also still haven't managed to run all the way around Green Lake, although I've only really tried to twice. It's hard not to get distracted by all the cute dogs prancing around that place.

I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing this winter. I hear it can get kind of rainy and disgusting around here, not to mention the sun goes down around 4 pm. I will either pull out some grandiose motivation and keep running through it all, or I will give up and become a couch slug. Or maybe there will be some interesting alternative, like a magic gym that pops up next door that offers free spin classes to former instructors any time I please.

1 comment:

arial said...

I googled "seattle group cycling" and got a lot of links. We don't have your new address or I would have tried to see if I could find something close to you. The UW recreational sports place doesn't appear to have it, but they do have yoga.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...