Sunday, August 20, 2006

We found Iowa City's Twin!

After years of searching and many leads that went nowhere, we finally found it; Iowa City's TWIN. It is:

BOULDER, CO

Everything downtown looks the same, from the bricks in the pedestrian mall to the plants and trees and street signs. We found out later that the reason why they look so similar is that they were created by the same dude (whose name I can't seem to find) and he used the same bricks, same grates, etc to really give it the same look. I can't find the dude's name, nor can I find which was created first or whether there are others out there created by this same dude that looks so uncannily similar. The weird thing is, both malls have been re-done since then and look even more alike now, with similar fountains and benches and even storefronts. I guess it is a bit of pedestrian globalization that is going on now.

The pics on the left are of the modern pedestrian malls with their new fountains shown. The top is Iowa City and the bottom is Boulder. We still miss the "three ladies peeing" fountain but I guess when the city has a liability problem, they have to remove it no matter how loved it is. I took a poll at a recent gathering of Iowa Citians and more than half admitted to having been bruised or scraped while playing on the "three ladies peeing" fountain in Iowa City.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

My eldest boy Ian almost broke ribs playing on "the three ladies". He slipped and fell weirdly. Because he was a small boy with great bones, he was fine, but the bruises were spectacular!

It DOES look like Iowa City, if it weren't for those mountains in the background.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...