Saturday, October 29, 2005

Heptamurder by PrgY

I gave lab meeting this week at work that I titled Heptamurder by PrgY, which is a nerdy Halloween reference to my project. But, I'm proud of it so I'm posting it. I also found the following picture to put on the first slide:

I'm not sure if anyone even noticed it because they were too busy oggling over the beer I brought, which was a big hit. We all got wasted, went bar hopping, and I came home with two strangers that my husband had to angrily send home. Who ever knew lab meeting could get so wild! I also made pumpkin pie, as practice for my upcoming favorite holiday (Thanksgiving). So, I am publicly patting myself on the back for such a great show at lab meeting, even though I had hardly any data to present due to my month-long absence from the lab.

I also hung up some pumpkin lights in our window in celebration of Halloween. We have some eyeball lights, but from the street you can't tell they're eyeballs so I decided to make them Christmas eyeball lights and hang them up at Christmas. This may greatly anger some of you, and I know it's not right, but it's just the way it is and there's nothing that can be done about it.

We won't be going to any parties this year, because my naked co-worker who usually throws a good party and even puts some clothes on for halloween is now living in Portland and it's just too far. So this year we probably won't dress up at all and since we live in an apartment we have never gotten any trick-or-treaters so it should be a pretty mellow night. I did buy a bag of candy about a month ago in case we got a trick-or-treater but the bag got eaten much faster than I anticipated due to the enormous capacity of my candy-fanatic-husband. So now if we get any trick-or-treaters we'll just have to yell at them out the window to go away.

I guess in Sweden they have a day near Easter where all the little kids dress up like witches and go out with their broomsticks to collect candy from people. They all like a good strong coffee there and since no witch would ever be without her coffee pot the kids actually collect the candy in the coffee pots instead of in plastic pumpkins like US kids do. I guess that ensures a perpetually good coffee market there whereas here it's more like a perpetual love for pumpkins and pumpkin pie, although we still have a pretty good coffee market.

Speaking of pumpkins, I have to mention that cnn.com and several other sources are reporting the phenomenon of the new trendy "ghost pumpkins" (white pumpkins). You can also buy miniature white pumpkins, which are called "baby boos." While the sexual orientation of these white pumpkins has been brought to question, it appears that this new trend is in large part due to a recent spread in Martha Stewart Living. These new "designer pumpkins" are expanding to include green, blue, and beige pumpkins (according to the Chicago Tribune). Personally, I'm impressed. Our society never ceases to find new twists to old themes and market them into popularity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, I totally should NOT have asked you to go before me for lab meeting. Even with no data...it was awesome! Drat and double drat.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...