Monday, June 11, 2007

Geeks Run Too (and we have allergies!)

We have formed an official group, all of us science monkeys that claim to be runners. We like running around and around Green Lake, so we decided coordinate so we could do it at the same time tomorrow night. Then once the ball got rolling I went ahead and invited some other people that just want to walk around Green Lake. If there is a big enough crowd, I figure, we can all go our own pace and we'll still be able to find someone to run or walk with. So far we have a group of almost 10. It's amazing how many people jumped on board once I set a time and a meeting place.

We have been having an onslaught of allergies lately. A coworker went out for a midday walk today and came back with red eyes, and tonight I feel downright sick. I'm going to have to dig out my Zyrtec and take some. I guess that's the downside of living somewhere where everything grows all the time. I always thought I was just allergic to dust but I'm learning there might be more to it than that.

To fight the allergies, my Studly Hubby and I bought new pillows this weekend. My old pillow was getting *hem* old. Very old. It was a great pillow though, so I was careful choosing a new one. I think I made a good choice, I like it a lot. I also bought a hypo-allergenic cover for it and put that on. It seems ok, but it traps air so if you aren't careful you end up sleeping on air instead of down. I should probably get a hypo-allergenic mattress and duvet cover too, but haven't gotten organized yet. Our duvet is also down and probably has a world of allergens inside it. Sometimes I feel like the allergies are going to win either way and I should just try to make myself as comfortable as possible (i.e. peppermint tea, a nice comfy robe) as they take me down. But other times I clench up my fists and fight it with all I've got and do feel slightly better afterwards.

3 comments:

Tink said...

The title for this post is CUTE! The only time I get allergies is when I'm elbow deep in dog hair and dust while I'm unclogging the vacuum. Blech.

Peggy said...

It's high allergy season for me too. I've discovered that when the pollen count gets up there and stays high, I start to be hypersensitive to quite a number of things. Dust, some soaps and other things will make me sneeze that don't normally affect me. I hope you get through this unscathed. I must say, running in the morning at this time of year is just asking for it!

Can you substitute swimming for a bit - or get on a treadmill to reduce your exposure to triggers?

J-Funk said...

Tink - I sneezed just reading about your vacuum/doghair situation!

Peggy - good thinking about the running inside bit, I may look into it. I think this is a much bigger problem out here in the "green" land than in the midwest. Maybe it'll get better in August when everything dries up.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...