Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Celedon Green

With the upcoming season of visitors planning a stay at the Hotel J&D Rock, the Studly Hubby and I decided to finally put new furniture at the top of our priority list. For the past six or so years we've been putting up with a futon for a couch (it is a nice futon, and did get a new mattress a few years ago, but it's a futon nonetheless and is therefore not so comfortable).

We've never been in the market for furniture, so didn't really know where to start. We went to a few used furniture stores, but the selection was pretty limited. We next ventured on to a new mega-furniture place, and discovered that the prices were not too much higher and the selection much better. We found a couch we both liked, went home to think about it, and discovered on the internet that the place had gotten all bad reviews so decided to keep looking. Some friends of ours who had recently bought furniture went to a place called Dania, so we found one of those and spent Sunday afternoon there. My Studly Hubby, a longtime fan of seafoam green, fell in love with the "celedon" (seafoam) green version of the leather couch pictured at right (the 'Rocco'). It's under $1000 and really comfortable. I had told him from the very beginning that I hate seafoam green and won't get a couch that color (I prefer blue) but the only other color is taupe which I think is worse (especially in a white-walled, cream-carpeted apt). By the end of the afternoon I was becoming swayed towards the celedon green couch. But we are very slow deciders, so again we went home to think about it. I am also a worrier so I worry about things like quality (can a leather couch under $1000 really be any good?) and other stuff (with the leather freeze my tushy off in the winter?) and the Studly Hubby is a nice understanding guy so suggested we look at a few more places, and maybe go visit the celedon green couch again, before we decide for sure. I am kind of disappointed to find myself wasting so much energy on a couch, I never thought I was that type of gal. Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This idea of going to umpteen furniture stores before buying something is something your Studly Hubby has in common with my Old Lady. Personally, I don't see why furniture should be harder to buy than, say, Chinese take-out.

Peggy said...

We did furniture shopping the day after Christmas (Boxing Day) when the furniture stores here in the UK traditionally have their sales. I adore Celadon green! I always remember a wonderful exhibition of glorious Chinese pottery in London which was very celedon intensive. I'm glad you're warming to that shade of green. It is exquisite! Naturally we went for a brown leather sofa that fits with everything.

Uncle KT said...

The green leather couch sounds cool!

Anonymous said...

Dania is a good chain...my parents have bought some stuff there down in IL. We finally have one in Roseville except we're done furniture shopping...Good luck! Look at it this way - it'll be your main couch till you move somewhere bigger and then it becomes the den/family room couch where you don't care if people spill on it etc! -H

Peggy said...

I saw some sofa cushions today and they were celedon and brown! I thought of you immediately.

J-Funk said...

Wow! Thanks for all the good feedback.

Bruce: it seems that furniture shouldn't be that difficult to buy. But when you're in the throes of it, it suddenly becomes way hard. And then when you're done you wonder what happened to you and how you ended up with a celedon green leather couch.

Peggy: Wow! Take me to those brown and celedon green cushions! Actually after we get the furniture I'm looking forward to sewing some cushions - I want to pull out the old sewing machine and see if I remember anything about using it. I'm hoping to find some awesome fabric somewhere that will sort of 'bring it all together'

Uncle KT: yeah!

H: good perspective

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...