Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Some Epidemiology

Here is an epidemiological puzzle for all you analysts:

My Studly Hubby and I both got sick last night, Derek more so than me. Symptoms: nausea, and general gastrointestinal distress (further info withheld for your protection). This weekend we ate the exact same meal three times: at El Ranchero (Friday night), Taste of China (Sunday afternoon), and at my mom's farm where we had a bunch of fruit straight off the tree without even washing it (Sunday afternoon). We also shared a bag of Chex Mix on the drive home from Iowa. We made out almost constantly all weekend, so were exchanging germs as much as possible. Nobody else got sick. My mom and my Studly Hubby's parents ate with us at El Ranchero (but not the same dish), my mom ate with us Sunday (but not the same dish or the same fruit, although it was fruit from the same tree, and she has been eating fruit off those trees all week) but Sunday night and Monday she ate all the rest of the Taste of China leftovers including the leftovers from the dish my Studly Hubby and I were eating.

Is it:

A. Food poisoning from El Ranchero, Taste of China, or the fruit
B. The flu
or C. Nonspecific gastrointestinal distress due to eating too much fresh organic Iowa grown fruit in combination with El Ranchero and Taste of China.

I will now perform a rectal swab and do careful microbiological classification of the bug afflicting my poor Studly Hubby, if I can catch him before he can get away from me.

6 comments:

Gail said...

I don't know, but you probably had it before the weekend even started. Whenever i think i have food poisioning, i always find out later that a stomach virus is/was going around. you probably caught it at work 2 weeks ago

J-Funk said...

Aha!

You may be on to something...

The Studly Hubby is still not recovered and stayed home today.

J-Funk said...

Did you post that enough times do you think?

Anonymous said...

OK, I gotta go with the fruit! Your mom eating the taste of china rules it out. And I have had extensive experience with gastrointestinal diffuculties last semester and whenever I eat anything bad around lunch time, by 10pm I am hurling all over somebody's kitchen floor.

J-Funk said...

Mr. Austin, you have had one heckuva a hard life - hurling on kitchen floors, losing women (over and over) to tv, having a pic of your disgusting bruised leg that you can't help but show people, getting strip searched on the boat on the way to Sweden, is there more?

Oh yeah, you moved to Austin.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come back with some FUNNY STD story to stick with the epidemioloigy theme, but sadly no. My life is only as hard as this.

Oh wait, I do have a Rita refugee cat in the crawlspace above my apt that doesnt want to come down, it only wants to pee and stink up my nice place. Do you know any Iowa Cat Stew recipies?

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...