Sunday, September 04, 2005

Select Scandinavia Pictures

My dad found out that the term 'mobroll' is for posting pictures as you're traveling - I couldn't do this because I didn't bring my computer with me, in fact I was lucky to figure out how to recharge my camera while we were there, but now that I'm home I'm going to pick a few out and put them up so there's no doubt I was there.

First the hotel. This is actually our second room in Copenhagen, that had a private bathroom, so unfortunately I don't have a picture of the free-standing shower that totally freaked me out. The first room was about the same size though so you get an idea of how small it was (the picture is taken from outside the doorway, standing as far back as I could get). Despite the small rooms, the hotel was very comfy and nice, with beautiful curtains and attentive service and a fabulous breakfast buffet (featuring the usual smorrebrod - open faced sandwiches). The beds were also made all nice when we got there, but it was dark so I had to take the pictures in the morning after we had messed everything up. My fully-clothed co-worker throws some wild parties, despite being fully clothed. She knows kung-fu you know.

Next, the peacock in the Frederickberg garden. I could show you pictures of the garden, which was a spectacularly groomed piece of work, but the peacock was what really got me excited. It was just hanging out, taking a break, perfectly relaxed and happy to have his picture taken. That's what I want to be in my next life, a peacock in the Frederickberg garden.

Below the peacock is the Copenhagen public library. The new part is right on the canal and has huge windows that look out over the canal (and the outside is made of imported marble, so it looks spectacular from the water). The new part is attached directly onto the remodeled old part, so you can't tell the difference from the inside. This picture was taken from the old part, looking out over the canal past the weird straight escalators that take you from the first floor to the second. Man, if we had libraries like this in the states our literacy rate would be a whole ten points higher (like Denmark's!).

I have a few pictures of the Fredericksberg castle (in Hellrod), and all of them are spectacular because everything in and around the castle was spectacular - a novice photographer's dream come true. The first is of the back of the castle, taken from the castle gardens which are past the moat. The front of the castle was equally spectacular but I couldn't get far enough away to get the whole dazzling spectacle in one frame. The second is of the Great Hall, which has been redone to look like it did before it was destroyed by fire in the 1600's. Tapestries on the wall were remade, the musician's stage (black, in the middle right) was recarved and rehung, etc. It was breathtaking. The Fredericksberg castle, like many great old buildings in Denmark, was commissioned by King Christian IV, who also commissioned the Kronberg castle in Helsingor (near our hotel during the conference). Both castles were of similar architecture, except the Fredericksberg castle was turned into a museum in the 1800's and restored, and is also a little bit bigger. The Kronberg castle still has a Great Hall, but it isn't nearly as dazzling although it still is huge, covered with old georgeous pictures, and has impressive architecture, tile, and ornamentation. It is still rented out for large events although I wouldn't think it would be all that great because it smells a little like very old mold.

I can't help but post a picture of one of several grey ducks we saw. In Minnesota, natives have a weird version of the old 'duck duck goose' we used to play as kids - they for some reason call it 'duck duck grey duck.' I have always been a little confused by this strange deviation but I think this picture explains it. You see, THEY HAVE GREY DUCKS in Scandinavia, and I've got a photo to proove it.

Below the grey duck is a picture of a viking ship from the Viking Ship museum in Roskilde. On the left side of the picture, though you can't see it, the windows look out over the Roskilde Fjord where the ships were recovered. They recovered five, and this is one of the smaller ones.

Last, but not least, is a picture of the famous Nyhavn "New Port" canal in Copenhagen. It was the center of all shipping into Copenhagen and is a prime piece of real estate filled with old wooden ships and spectacular waterfront housing. One of the houses is the former home of the famous H.C. Anderson fairy tale writer. This picture is taken from the canal during a canal boat tour we took on our last day before the conference.

2 comments:

arial said...

How do these pictures prove you were there? I don't see you in any of them.

J-Funk said...

Gah! You got me. I do have a picture or two of me in front of the castle, etc, but my big head is blocking whatever thing I meant to show so I kept those out. If you still doubt me I could send you one as proof, but since my Studly Hubby is a graphic designer it still wouldn't really be proof - as many of my co-workers can attest to a picture isn't worth a thousand words, more like an hour of Photoshop.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...