Sunday, February 04, 2007

Krispy Kreme

(Sorry Mr. Mop, if you're still lurking out there - I had to make another donut post)

Yesterday my Studly Hubby and I made a special trip out to a Krispy Kreme donut store to buy a creme-filled donut. These creme-filled donuts are very hard to find, if you've ever looked for one. Every once in a while the bakery at the local grocery store will have them, but that seems to be less and less frequent. And the donut shop right up the street from us only has the custard-filled donuts (which I think are just as good, or even better, but my Studly Hubby really wants the creme-filled ones). After an exhaustive search on the internet, my Studly Hubby announced that Krispy Kreme should have the highly desired creme-filled donuts, so we made plans to go check it out. I had never been to a Krispy Kreme, so I thought it would be a fun adventure.

Oh my, what a fun adventure it was. First of all, they have a drive-through. Crazy! And it was full of cars - we opted to go inside because we didn't want to wait in line for the drive-through. When we went inside, they handed us FRESH, HOT donut samples (an entire donut!) and we just blacked out with taste pleasure. When we left there, somehow we had ended up with a whole box with a dozen donuts and as we got to our car in the parking lot we both looked at it in puzzled wonder and asked each other "how did THAT happen?"

The creme-filled donuts were very good too. Although we still have 9 more left to eat up before they go stale. We put them in an airtight container, hopefully that will help. And I don't doubt the donut-eating powers of my Studly Hubby. When it comes to sugary treats, he is fierce.

One thing I noticed is that Krispy Kreme spells donut "doughnut" on their box. What's that all about?

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Hmmmm doughnuts . . . .

Anonymous said...

Wow. The whole Krispy Kreme craze is from, what, six years ago? I didn't appreciate how hard you've been working on that degree until you came up for air and discovered Krispy Kreme, not just after the boom, but years after the bust.

J-Funk said...

Krispy Kreme has already busted? Dang! what a bummer.

Honestly I think we had a bit of a Krispy Kreme shortage in the midwest - I heard there was one in St. Louis but I never saw any others until I moved out here (except once at the airport). So maybe the boom hasn't happened there yet. Or maybe they really were all over the place and I just never noticed until now - probably a good thing!

The Mop said...

;) Thanks for the concern. I've managed my weakness for the doughy goodness by forcing myself on a 2-3 mile run per pastry. I, as well am a custard person. If one is into cream, you may as well go for the Twinkie.

Mandy said...

There's a Krispy Kreme in Maple Grove - it opened while I was in college still, so it's been there probably the entire time you were in grad school! ;)

arial said...

There was a krispy kreme at the hotel we stayed at when we all went to Vegas. I remember watching donuts being made there. Maybe you weren't with us when we saw it though.

Uncle KT said...

They sell Krispy Kreme donuts in Coffman union...and have ever since I've been here. Not at a KK store but in big, well marked case in the "convenience store" thing by the book store. You can see the case through the window without going in...and they sell the cream-filled ones.

J-Funk said...

Whoa! It seems that there WAS Krispy Kreme all around me... I'm feeling a little disoriented now...

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...