Thursday, February 15, 2007

Book Club Mania

I have a good excuse for not posting since Sunday (sorry!) - I have been reading a book. I had to read this book by yesterday, because I had book club yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't start reading the book until Sunday. I was having a little bit of a high school flashback as I was feeling the extreme deadline crunch that had been brought on by procrastination (or, as I like to call it, a mistestimation of my available time). I was reading the book in every spare second I had - during breakfast, my walk to school, late into the night - and I still didn't quite get it finished before book club. I was actually reading it as I walked into the room. They didn't mind though, which was nice.

My book club has been a lot of fun. It's a very small group that meets at our local branch of the public library. A 40-something couple leads the book club and shows up every week with awesome treats (this week they were heart-shaped fruit tarts from home-grown apples and home-made whip cream, oh my). Anywhere from 1-5 other people show up, with only a few (like me) that are consistent. The original plan was just to go when there was a good book on the list, but I have become addicted. I have found that reading one book every month keeps me going to the library and thinking about books so that I usually end up reading one or two more. Unfortunately, last month, I got a little backed up with books and so was behind on the actual book club book - a stressful side effect. The book club itself is pretty fun, although everyone else is at least ten years older than me (our differences create very different opinions of the book, which is fun however).

Now that book club is over, I am finally on to Live Bait, a book by the mother-daughter team PJ Tracy that takes place in Minneapolis. The first book in the series, Monkeewrench, was most excellent and I have been looking forward to reading this book. I'm now in the habit of staying up late to read, so last night (after book club) I made some progress on Live Bait and have really been enjoying all the references to good ole' Minneapolis. Next I should read some books that take place in Seattle. It's a lot of fun reading a book about something that is familiar.

3 comments:

Newt said...

AAAHHH you're reading the awesome, addictive, stay up all night series. I read #3 in about one sittng. It was SO good. Live Bait is thought provoking. I liked the morality questions it raises. Anyway, enjoy!

Uncle KT said...

You forgot that you could squeeze in good reading in the shower and while brushing your teeth!

J-Funk said...

Newt: all because of YOU - otherwise I never would have known...! Thanks for enlightening me.

Uncle KT: HOW do you NOT get your book wet? It just doesn't make any sense.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...