Sunday, February 04, 2007

ALMONDS!

I have had incredibly dry skin since we moved to Seattle. It's weird because it's actually pretty humid here, I never expected my skin to be so dry. We had actually gotten rid of our humidifer before we left Minneapolis because we figured we'd never need it (we were wrong!).

I used to consider my skin "dry" when I had to use baby oil after my shower a couple times a week, and put lotion on about as often. Now I am putting baby oil on EVERY time I shower (if not, it is actually painful!) and I put lotion on whenever I have time, which is about 4 times a week. And after all that my skin is still red and itchy, but at least it's not cracking and painful.

Well after using all that baby oil I wasn't surprised when I finally used up the bottle I have had for the past five years or so - a bottle of Johnson & Johnson Vitamin E Baby Oil. Since it wasn't quite doing the job, I thought I'd try something else, so I planted myself in the lotion aisle at the co-op yesterday while my husband did the grocery shopping and read all the labels and tried all the testers and finally ended up buying the cheapest one to try it out (pictured at left - I read that almond is the most nurturing oil for dry skin, and this one also has peanut oil, olive oil, lanolin and NO unnatural fragrance). I noticed two things in the aisle at the co-op: 1) all the oils there had color to them, while the Johnson&Johnson oil I had been using was completely clear and 2) none of the oils had a suspicious "fragrance" listed on the label, like the Johnson&Johnson Baby Oil. So I'm hoping this stuff will work better, since it's colored and doesn't have anything weird in it.

Well I used it today and I'm not sure yet if it works better (although it is a LOT thicker), but I am having another problem - it's distractedly YUMMY smelling. It smells like almonds! It reminds me of everything almond that I have ever loved - swedish oatmeal cookies, almond jello, etc. So I'm definitely not going to try the coconut, because I like coconut even better than almonds and may find myself chewing on my arm if I try the coconut. I may switch over to something more innocuous like rose or jasmine. But I do like almond smell better than baby oil smell (at least for me, since I am an adult and not a baby), so for that reason alone I like it better already. Plus hopefully it'll be a little more helpful with the dry skin problem.

4 comments:

The Mop said...

I'm on a comment roll.....

My bet is the wind and salty air, causing the skin issues. I like using moisturizer...shhhh don't tell anyone.... makes me feel and smell good.....

I bet when the season changes you will have to apply less frequently..... But then the rain comes....

vitamin D, or read a book under one of those special lamps.

J-Funk said...

yay mop! You're still around!!

ha ha you use moisturizer.

The almond stuff is working wonders.

Gail said...

Hi J,

Beauty is a really big eater, did you ever notice this? I have been feeding him almost every other day because every time I look in his cage his seeds are all cracked open! Maybe he is eating a lot because it is cold out. He is a sweet bird and good company. I'm so glad you gave him to me!

Is it cold in Seattle? it is around zero here this week. It's snowing but too cold to go skiing. OH, the cruel irony of winter!

:)

Anonymous said...

Where do they get the babies to make all that baby oil, anyway?

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...