Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Seattle Weather

I nicked this image off of the weather.com 10-day weather report for my zip code a few days ago. The prognosis was bad, but the first four days haven't been that bad. Yesterday we actually had about an hour of sun (part of which I could enjoy while I was outside walking to work, luckily), and it hasn't been raining constantly (although it's raining right now). Plus the rain is soft and kind of sweet and relaxing, unless you have to go out in it, in which case it can be blustery but usually isn't. So far I haven't found the rain to be too inhibitive - although we've had a few recent bouts of hard rain that caused some flooding and I guess that was inhibitive (we live on a hill so no flooding here). The thing that's the hardest to deal with here, which we had already gotten used to in Minnesota, is how early it gets dark (right now it gets dark at 4:45 pm). It's hard to keep dragging your butt around work, then later around the house, when it's already been dark for a while and your body is telling you it's not right to still be awake (even though it's only 7 pm). My Studly Hubby's solution to this is to turn on every light in the house (we have three in the living room) but that just ends up being confusing - we're supposed to be winding down because it's dark out, but yet all our lights are still on signaling party time. I think it would be better if we could just go to bed earlier, but I guess that's not really a good solution either. So I'll do what I always do - distract myself with the upcoming holidays, survive through January, and then count down as the days get longer and eventually it gets back to normal. At least here in Seattle January won't be bringing the coldest weather you can imagine on top of it all (the coldest we dealt with in Minnesota was a day with a high of -25F, the whole day I was thinking "why do people live here?" while my friends that were raised in Minnesota were thinking "wow, I better put on some gloves").

4 comments:

The Mop said...

a good rain jacket, and one of those lights that is like sunlight.... Or vitamin d....
Some say read a book under the lamp.....

Anonymous said...

I completely identify with dark rainy weather. We have the same over here only with slightly less light as we're just a smidge further north(latitude 65 degrees).

It will either "do your head in" or you'll just get used to it.

I got used to it - with only the occasional grumble.

Anonymous said...

J, I don't think I will ever move out of the DC area at this point of my life but you never know life could be funny sometimes. If I HAVE to ever move, Seatlle always comes to my mind because I hear it rains all the time and I LOVE rainny cloudy days and good coffee.

J-Funk said...

the mop: I'm working on getting both, I hear good things about those lights

Peggy: do you have a sun lamp? any other suggestions? does it snow there?

Mad Cabbie: It's funny but people who like rain may not actually like it here because in the summer it's as dry as the desert for about three months and as sunny too. I was very surprised. If you don't like the sun you'd never make it through summer. But I do like the sun and loved the summer.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...