Sunday, November 19, 2006

I hate packing

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I hate packing. Whether it's for the weekend, or for a week (like this time), or to move your whole house. Once, when I was in college, I tried the alcoholic approach to packing: get wasted the night before to drown your worries. While it definitely helped drown my worries, it did NOT help with the packing the next day (and I would not recommend this method, I learned that your mom and boyfriend do not relish moving a couch with you on it). So tonight I am once again ramping up for packing. First, I baked. Next, I cleaned. Then, I sorted some papers. Now, I'm doing laundry and blogging. Next, I'll vacuum. Sometime later, much later, I'll pack. The good thing is there's a washer where we're going and we know where the tylenol is and what the weather will be like and what the rules are so it's a little less stressful than, say, a trip to Zaire, where the terrain would be much less familiar. When I first moved away from home, I would pack for trips like this by throwing all my dirty laundry into a basket and putting it in my car. I also always took my bike, just in case (you never know).

Speaking of traveling, my Studly Hubby and I were out and about the other day and saw a sign in someone's yard that said:

SPEED LIMIT: 300,000,000 m/s. IT'S THE LAW.

I totally didn't get it. My Studly Hubby, who is an even bigger nerd than me (this proves why), knew what it meant: 300,000,000 m/s is the speed of light.

If I don't get to post again until the holiday, Happy Thanksgiving everybody!! Good luck getting all that pie down. I'll be rooting for ya.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

During the First Oil Crisis, in the 1970's, Congress made all the states set their speed limits to 55. Somebody made up a slogan, "55 mph -- it's not just the law, it's a good idea." I saw a variation on that sign that said, "Speed limit 95 mph -- it's not the law, it's just a good idea."

Anonymous said...

Have a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

If you don't like packing, then don't pack. Don't take anything with you. It makes traveling so much less burdonsome.

Tink said...

Re the sign: OMG. Tell me the house also subs as a trekkie meeting ground.

Have a great Thanksgiving!! And good luck with the packing. I don't mind that nearly as much as the moving.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...