Friday, November 17, 2006

Splitting My Infinitives

One thing I have learned through the many revisions I have gone through on this grant is that I very frequently like to split infinitives. If you, dear reader, are like me and have no idea what this means, let me give you an example.

To boldly go

Is a split infinitive.

The infitive 'To go' is split by 'boldly'

It should read:

To go boldly

I blame this grammar error on never having formally learned grammar. I was part of the group of kids that was part of the experiment called "don't teach grammar and see how it turns out." I can't regret it, because grammar is very boring, but every once in a while it trips me up when something that has sounded normal all my life (because it is very frequently used during every day language) is, in fact, grammatically formally incorrect.

So now I am going through this grant for the one millionth time and fixing all my split dang-blasted infinitives. What I'm actually doing is blogging about it, which I think is a very necessary first step towards healing, which will enable better grammar.

Can you boldly count all the split infinitives hidden in this very post?

7 comments:

The Mop said...

Let the Healing Begin.

Anonymous said...

You know, I had grammer classes in junior high and high school and I'm STILL TERRIBLE...It's just so boring to learn. Good luck on those split infinitives. It looks like I will be graduating in January. My favorite committee member is going to be in Uganda until the end of December and my favorite advisor is reading my thesis VERY SLOWLY!!!! Does this mean that I will get a penis cake still????

alienvoord said...

There is nothing wrong with the split infinitive. Wikipedia explains why some people used to think it was wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_infinitive

Are there still style books that prohibit it?

J-Funk said...

Mr. Mop - I am healing!

Speedy - January is still impressive enough for a penis cake

Alien - Wow! I guess it's ok then. Relief is to boldly be mine!

Anonymous said...

At least you don't end your sentences with prepositions (my pet hate).

"Where does he live AT?" You don't need the "at" on the end. Just ask where he lives?

Splitting infinitives isn't quite so awful to the ear and can sometimes be quite poetic.

Anonymous said...

we know nothing about the obscenities that are split infinitives...

Tink said...

The fact that I can't probably means I have a problem too. Ah well. We'll form a club. You can be president.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...