Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hot Yoga, revisited

After an official two-month break from hot yoga (also called Bikram yoga, a version of yoga done at 105F), I went back this morning. This is why: I am going home for Thanksgiving, and I have no doubt that my mom will drag me to her studio not once, but TWICE (or even thrice) and I am already embarrassed by how out of shape I know I've gotten.

It turned out ok. The fat guy with the speedo who rolls around moaning with a towel on his face was still there. You'd think if he was coming regularly for the past two months he might have lost some weight by now. I don't think he has. But I did notice that when he laughs his belly jiggles like Santa. That got me excited about Christmas.

The room wasn't as hot as my old studio (in Minneapolis). This served me well since I am out of shape, and out of practice. It's honestly very hard to keep your head in the game when it's 105F. As it was (I think it was only 95F), I stayed in the game, and only almost threw up once.

I have stayed in better shape than one would have thought. I really fight to stay even slightly flexible (tying my shoes is still very hard), so I was happy that I don't have to start completely over.

I award myself a million points for getting back to hot yoga. And I award a million points to those of you who are similarly going forth and conquering:

1) my Uncle Bruce and his wife, who have also taken up yoga
2) Speedy KT who is off to the Boston marathon for the first time this year and has gotten addicted to spin classes (I knew it would happen eventually)
3) Uncle KT who has tried thousands of new sports this year and even stuck with a few of them
4) Mr. Mop who also tried hot yoga, and loves Brewer's yeast, and continues to run despite his deep-rooted hatred of running (and video games) - keep fighting Mr. Mop!
5) my Studly Hubby, who has slowed down his running potential so that his wife (me!) can manage to keep up with him, and who is very sweet and handsome and loving (and studly)
6) My dad, who has started commuting by bike and continues to swim regularly, yay Dad! - we can't wait to see you and the herd next week!
7) Any of the rest of you who I neglected to mention

Go everybody! With our guts and fury we can conquer the world (or at least our bodies)!

4 comments:

The Mop said...

I wanted to mention that I found both your posts today, Very funny. I laughed out-loud at both of them.

I'd fire off a split infinitive off but.... now I'm confused about them.... And apparently there are henchman after people who use them.
.

The Mop said...

Oh, and the pose Pictured.... I think that one maybe responsible for my Lack of return to Hot Yoga... Yet :) it's winter, time for all sorts of wierd Cross Training.

Anonymous said...

I'm back in for broomball this year...WITH my knee pads. On the conventional sport front...I'm joining at lease one volleyball team also, so I can stop the withdrawl!

J-Funk said...

Mop: thanks (again) for the compliments! That (camel) pose is also one of my most worrisome. I can do it but it's not pretty.

KT: Yay! Going for the broomball and volleyball! I hope you live through another season.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...