Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Post Tornado Tour: Iowa City

I was given a guided tour of post-tornado Iowa City over Memorial Day weekend when I was there. It was a bit of a wreck, although I was told things are in a lot better shape now than right after. The spots of chaos were surprisingly narrow; the shingles of a house here, a missing Happy Joes over there, a ruined church a few blocks over... The really bad spot from what I could tell was down at the end of Iowa Avenue, near Woodlawn (the other end from the Old Capital), where there was about a four-block span of damaged houses... this is where the sorority was that got badly hit and quite a few old beautiful houses that were being rented out. Apparently they had a second tornado scare yesterday afternoon and the whole city went in their basements for a few hours... what would the chances be of them getting hit twice? One in a kajillion? Thankfully the one yesterday was a false alarm.

No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...