Friday, August 26, 2005

Greater Copenhagen

We had a GREAT time in Helrød today, a town north of Copenhagen (40 min by train). We saw a really cool CASTLE that is now a museum, a really pretty castle garden, and did some shopping in the shopping district, which was much quieter and more accessible than copenhagen's.

I have been eating loads of Danishes and haven't gone running since we got here (I've been walking about 8 hrs a day so my legs are too tired at night for it). I'm going to have to do some extra gym time when I get back probably - although maybe not, I am doing a lot of walking and the Danes seem to stay thin on all the danishes they eat. The danishes are really good and you can get them in a variety of forms, like with chocolate on them, or apple vanilla pudding stuff, or braided, or with spinach inside, or wrapped around a hotdog (this is particularly heavenly), or with cheese and bacon on top. We are basically living on danishes, which is ok by me.

What is kind of funny is, the 'Danishes' by some may be considered the danish people living here, which would make the paragraph above particularly funny. I should clarify that by 'danish' I mean the pastries that the Danes are so famous for (made famous apparently by a very good Danish chef who took some of these pastries to Austria and became well known there for them).

Danish!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, that is so cool that you clarify that. Cause Danishes in Swedish is called Weinerbröd or Vienna Bread. It is all so clear now...
Today I am going to Crawford to check out the protestors. Word is it will be crazy. Supposedly lots of republican activista are bussed in from San Franscisco. NPR just said there will be 3000 protestors. Crawford has a pop of 750 or so.

J-Funk said...

What are they protesting?

Anonymous said...

They are protesting the war in Iraq and I guess Afghanistan. And the counterprotests are saying Everything is Fine.

Gail said...

Have you tried smorebrod? That was really yummy (danish lunch sandwich). I remember the hotdog thing!!! Mekhine and I had about two-five of those every day we were there! I want one right now...

Are you staying in Copenhagen (or should I say Kobenhavn)? We should compare pictures sometime when you get back. I hope I can go there again some time.

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...