Saturday, August 27, 2005

GO Vikings!!

We took a day trip today to Roskilde, which used to be the capital of Denmark before Copenhagen was. It was a crazy busy bustling town, and getting there was equally crazy. After asking for instructions to get on the train three times from three different people we finally got on the right train and landed ourselves in the middle of a chaotic train hub in Roskilde, then looked for the train station for the next 20 minutes. We finally found it, and a map, and headed to the very beautiful Roskilde Domkirke (cathedral) in town that hosts many famous dead kings and queens in beautifully displayed coffins surrounded by statues. It is probably the most beautiful church I've seen, although a little creepy. I refrained from foul tongue while I was there and even felt weird taking pictures. Then we went to the Viking museum by the Roskilde Fjord (lake) and saw some viking ships that have been hauled up out of the water and put back together. We also learned a lot of really interesting viking history and quizzed a woman that works there about the vikings, as well as the castle we saw yesterday and what went on during both those time periods. Now I feel very smart and hope to retain this information for at least a week so I can impress somebody with it. The museum was very exciting and warrented a hotdog rolled up in a danish, which was delightful. Then all the shops suddenly closed at 3 pm because it's Saturday and we were forced to go back to our hotel, where I now await the arrival of our boss and a fancy dinner tonight (it's lobster tonight!) that can be expensed now that the business part of my trip is about to begin. We leave tomorrow for Helsingør, where the conference is (and the Kroneberg castle!) and conference begins tomorrow night.

No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...