Friday, July 06, 2007

There's a Secret Garden in our backyard!!

Remember that book, The Secret Garden?

I think I found one of those in our backyard.

On Wednesday we had a backyard BBQ for our friends (more on that later) so I wanted to get our yard cleaned up so there would be room for everybody.

We have a tiny yard, and most of it was at one time a garden. Nobody has weeded in years so it is now full of 10-feet high weeds and overgrown bushy and viney green things. Out here in Seattle everything grows like nothing I've ever seen so a few years of neglect equals a lot of growth.

Our new upstairs neighbors got me started on the yard cleanup idea by hacking down a huge thorny tree back there. The yard immediately looked so much better that I thought I'd work on it too. I had the foresight to take a before and after picture so I could post it on my blog and brag about it. The before picture is above. The after picture is below:Can you believe it's even the same yard? Well it is!

Not only did we have a great time at our BBQ, but I discovered all kinds of awesome things in our garden like strawberries(!), herbs and lavender. Our upstairs neighbors came out to gawk for a while and we discussed what our "yard vision" is going to be. We think it would be neat to clear out part of the garden so we can have a hammock, but now that I've discovered all this good stuff in our garden I'm kind of reluctant to get rid of it. Hrm...

Meanwhile I've been inspired and I spent some time tonight working on our front yard, which isn't quite as sorry looking but is also badly in need of attention. Now I might go explore a neighborhood nursery this weekend and see what little plants I might want to add to the empty spaces I'm creating. This yard thing is so much fun it may turn me into a gardener yet.

6 comments:

Eric said...

Excellent, every time someone talks about their "vision", it puts the hair on the back of my neck go up, as I realize, what they are really saying is.... "This is what I think you should do."...... but I'm kind of a bitter sometimes.....

Anonymous said...

I always have such great intentions for our "garden" as well. I think I'm doing good just to keep the grass hacked down! :)

Hey, if you happen to find yourself on the eastside, Molbak's is a really fun garden shop. They claim to be one of the worlds best. I just think it's fun to spend a couple hours there snooping around and having lunch in the their bistro.

Mad Cabbie said...

Are you growing some illegal stuff Eryn? That pic looks like you got some fresh Turkish hash in your backyard!

Mad Cabbie said...

Sorry I called Eryn, I was thinking about my girl down south!

J-Funk said...

eric - I think my vision is all about what I am going to do, but whether or not I follow through is another question...

Susan - hey! thanks! I think we'll go there ASAP, maybe even this afternoon!

Mad - Are YOU growing some illegal stuff, and then smoking it right before you comment? As far as I know, there is nothing illegal back there but you never know.

Uncle KT said...

Nice work! The yard looks amazing! Would your landlord be willing to chip in for any of the plants? He/she may since it will make the property look so much better!

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...