Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hike Up Little Si

Sunday was absolutely georgeous here (absolutely GEORGEOUS!) so we thought we'd go on another hike. I consulted with our neighbor, who looks athletic, and she thought a hike up Mount Si would be good. Next we consulted our Hike Book, which we bought at a little bookstore down the street, and decided that maybe Little Si (a mini-Si) would be more like it. Little Si is Mount Si's little sister, is located right next door, and is only an hour hike to the top (vs. a four hour hike to the top of Mount Si). A website detailing both Mount Si and Little Si, with some more great pictures, is here.

Little Si, it turns out, is really a fantastic hike. It's steep and challenging, but rather short and well populated, so you never worry that it will kill you and you might die alone in the wilderness. It was steep enough to slow us down though. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I am continually getting my butt kicked out here by all sorts of people. For example, we were happily hiking along the trail when we came across a middle-aged couple and their six-year old daughter. The couple was helping their daughter up some really steep rocks on the trail so we passed them. Then, for the next fifteen minutes, we just about died trying to stay ahead of them. We finally let them pass us so we could have some peace. Next, as we're catching our breath from that little adventure, a woman and her dog pass us as they jog by. Jogging??! I was shocked. But by the end not one, but THREE joggers passed us on the trail. As if climbing up steep rock isn't hard enough, these people feel like they need to jog it. I shook my fist at one of them as they breezed past.

But oh! The top was beautiful. There was a large flat rock overlooking Mount Si on one side and the flatlands on the other, and everyone that had passed us on the trail was sprawled out enjoying the view and handing out twizzlers to their kids and small pets. I did a little yoga (I felt inspired), we each ate a victory apple, then we set off to hike back down. Then we took ourselves out for some Chinese food.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so cool! I wish we had mountains...

Anonymous said...

Wait...there is life outside of my apartment? Stop messing with my head j-funk! (I wish that we had mountains too)

The Mop said...

They are called Trail runners most around here are training for ultramarathons Or "Ultras" as referred to in the popular nomenclature. Most participants are actuall over 50 years old.We have the Wasatch Front 100 around here. One of the best in the sport serves drinks in a park city bar.

J-Funk said...

Mop: Holy crap there's a whole breed of them.

Both KT's: yeah it's pretty cool being able to drive 30 min and then climb a mountain. People out here are all about that too.

Newt said...

Um, wanna trade for a few weeks when you get homesick? IF you get homesick? Preferably in, say, February?

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...