Sunday, October 29, 2006

Daylight Savings What?

It's that time of year again! Everyone get ready! And now let me tell you what this means for me:

The good:
- we get an extra hour today, which is really good because both my Studly Hubby and I are working hard on assignments - he has a homework assignment due at noon (getting more and more time-consuming as he nears the final stretch of his final quarter), and I have a grant proposal to send over to a co-worker, also at noon. Now we have an extra hour to work! Oh I just love working on Sunday (and all day Saturday too!)
- We get to sleep in tomorrow, and for a few days after that it'll still feel like sleeping in. Now that's a pleasure!
- It'll be light out when we wake up now (which was the whole point), which means getting up will be 10% easier.

The bad:
- It gets dark now at FOUR THIRTY. How is this normal? How can anyone deal with this? When I was in Minnesota, I always wondered what happened to our sanity right after daylight savings time. It seems to me that when it's getting dark at 4:30 you should be heading home around 3:30 or even earlier but people still go about their usual business somehow and just get home an hour after dark. And out here on the West Coast, the usual business is to get home at 7 pm. So now it'll be even weirder (plus it gets dark even earlier, and it rains all the time). Gag!!

So I'm just hanging on until March, when the days start getting noticeably longer and the rain starts letting up and I can start feeling normal again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to know what we're going to do with all the surplus daylight that we've saved. ;-)

Newt said...

All, it's 5:30 and the sky is almost dark, not quite just yet.... Grant you I was wide awake at 5:30 this morning. Since they promised us a weekend approaching 60 we were all a state of good little Minnesotan's, we cleaned up leaves, we trimmed plants, we washed our cars, and we hung our Christmas lights. Rumor has it Halloween may only require light jckets or warm sweaters under the costumes. Oh goodie for us.

Newt said...

Just wanted to clarify, this Minnesotan did not hang x-mas lights. I'm more of a cozy house with soft twinkling lights on the INSIDE. You know, where it's warm.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that when we spring forward, we always lose an hour of sleep, but when we fall back, we always gain an hour of work?

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...