Monday, December 04, 2006

J-Funk Does Radioactivity

Now that I've been recently awarded a shiny new "Radiation Safety" certificate, I was all ready to roll up my sleeves today and dig in. Unfortunately, the radioactive isotope we happened to have was about 20 times more concentrated than what I needed, but I had to use it anyway because it was what we had. So I suited up - put on the lab coat, the gloves, turned on the Geiger counter, got all my tubes lined up and labeled, then got out the "source vial" - the vial that the radioactivity comes in (a huge thing inside several other things, all screwed down tightly). Unfortunately the mere thought of the amount of radioactivity I was handling got me sweating profusely and quaking in my boots, and I almost dropped the whole deal on my foot. Then I stuck my finger in some of it (with my glove on) and had to switch gloves. Then I couldn't get the lid back on it. Once I finally got it back into the freezer I did about ten surveys over the benchtop to make sure I didn't spill any while I had it out. I even did a survey of myself and my notebook. Then I staggered out of the room and passed out in the hallway (and came back later to document what I had used and that I didn't get any on myself). All in all, it went well, since nothing blew up and nobody called the police. I give myself a Gold Star.

13 comments:

The Mop said...

Two gold Stars

Anonymous said...

Be careful! The first time is always the scariest. It will get easier, but make sure you keep up with the super surveys. I say you can never check too often.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever hear Tim Brickman tell the story of the guy that was eating a sandwich while using radiation in the cold room on the 9th floor? Apparently he ended up with radiation poisoning.

Anonymous said...

Are you doing those gel shifts? I'm telling you, fluorescent primers are the way to go, trust me!

Anonymous said...

nice to think that our cold room on the 9th floor has seen that much radiation! radiation stuff sucks - I'm still avoiding watching the several hours worth of videos that are required to do any work with it! :)

Anonymous said...

You didn't have a beef with a dead ex KGB agent in London did you?

Anonymous said...

God help us...Josie is working with radioactivity!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

J-Funk said...

The Mop: Thanks! I like your new blog, but am I the only one that knows where it is?

Peggy: I HOPE it gets easier! Otherwise we're all in trouble.

Uncle KT: Dang!

Dr. Mysterio: Nice to see you in these parts again! I will definitely pursue the fluorescent primers, man, I just want to get the hang of the protocol as it is first.

MJ: I watched those videos in MN then never used any radiation so that was a waste of my life (it's kind of a waste of life either way). I'd say wait as long as you can.

Mad: No but I was definitely taking notes...

Speedy: that's right, beotch, run! RUN!

The Mop said...

About 5 people know about it... Some time this month I'll kill that one too. and come back to the Dr. Pistachio blog with a new nick.
Check it now...
http://mop-post-script.blogspot.com/
there is a compleated toffee recipie(that I'm avoiding editing). It compleatly outdoes the Nachos... I'm sure in retaliation your going to have to swim in doughnuts.
I'll be very unhappy if somthing happens to you with the radiation. I'd have to team up with the studly hubby and give you a talking to, if something did.

J-Funk Rocks!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think anything will happen to Dr. Pistachio. She just has such a healthy glow.

Anonymous said...

Um . . . . J-Funk . . . . you don't have access to polonium by any chance?

Anonymous said...

Wow, lot's of gold stars for you. I wouldn't have a clue how to handle that stuff. Though Homer seems to do okay around that stuff.

desmond said...

check out my website at radioactivenachos.blogspot.com

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...