Sunday, June 15, 2008

East Coast Adventure

A week ago we returned from a long trip to the East Coast and I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures and a short re-cap of our trip.



I flew out first to Boston to attend the American Society of Microbiology general meeting. This is an annual meeting with HUGE attendance and was really too big for my attention span. The conference center was said to hold 16 football fields and I missed at least one good talk because I simply went the wrong direction.

I had a very fun tour on the first day of Boston and all their famous historic sites. I forgot my camera, but one of the most striking features of the tour were all the OTHER tours going on at the same time with tour guides dressed as revolutionary soldiers, famous historical figures (such as John Adams), or as a New England puritan. It was weird to see these people leading tours around the city but even weirder to see them by themselves on the subway or walking down the street (esp the soldiers because they had rifles).

I had a great time partying with my old Minnesota homeboys (and girls) and catching up on everyone's new lives (everyone is doing such different things now, it's so neat!).

On the last day of the meeting my Studly Hubby flew out and met up with me, and we headed up to NYC to hang out with my famous Aunt Margot. She just finished cutting a new bluegrass CD. We listened to her new CD, had an awesome dinner with her in her very greek neighborhood in Queens, then went into Manhattan for an awesome night at a hip jazz nightclub where we listened to a band play jazz-tango and had glamorous NYC hamburgers and wine.
The next day we went to the Museum of Modern Art which was spectacular. We saw art by Monet, Picasso, van Gogh, Seurat, Dali (my Studly Hubby's favorite), Frida Kahlo, Pollock, Warhol, and loads of other good stuff. We stopped in the middle at the cafeteria for a fancy tea and desert break. In addition to many awesome classics, they had lots of weird stuff that will haunt me for the rest of my life, so it was a memorable trip.


Afterwards we were exhausted and lounged around Central Park, checking out all the other afternoon loungers of New York.

The next day we headed out by ourselves for a day of touristing. We stopped at NBC studios to take some pictures (we are now big fans of 30 Rock, which is filmed there).


We also cruised through chinatown, stopping for multiple bubble teas in air conditioned cafe's to cool down (it was over 95F that day). And we went to the awesome Mac Store on 5th Ave, (the store is under the cube). That was weird.



At the end of the last day, we went to Spamelot on Broadway. It wasn't as good as the Producers, which we saw several years ago when we were there, but it was still pretty awesome. Broadway is so neat-o.

No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...