How to have an awesome weekend:
1. Live on the West Coast, somewhere near Portland or Seattle.
2. Take most of Friday off work. Go in for a little while so you don't feel guilty.
3. Get somebody cool to come out and visit you, like your Studly Hubby's Harley-riding, jewelry-making Studly Parents.
4. Make sure you have an awesome Studly Hubby that has pre-planned the weekend so you have hotels and directions all lined up already.
5. Take off on Friday afternoon. First, go to the Oregon beach town of Seaside, where the beautiful Cannon Beach is a few miles away.
Cannon Beach, with Haystack Rock front and center. Look familiar? That's because it was in the movie The Goonies! (seen in the background of the shots on the beach).
6. While you're there, stop in Astoria Oregon and visit the Goonies house.
7. While you're standing in front of the Goonies house and checking it out, turn around. You will have a spectacular view of the cute little city and the georgeous Columbia River. Note: at the end of the Goonies, when they found the gems from One-Eyed Willy's pirate ship, they were allowed to pay for the house and all the land around it and defeat the Evil Country Club guys that wanted to turn their house in to a golf course. Well, I'm happy to say that there were no golf courses in sight.
8. Go to Portland. Hang out with your Studly Hubby's Studly Mother's Studly Cousin The Artist, who has art pieces in museums all over and doesn't even brag about it. While you're there, go to the biggest used bookstore in the world, Powell's, and try not to pass out from all the books.
9. Head up to the Columbia River Gorge and take a look at all the waterfalls. I encourage you to wear a raincoat and bring a waterproof camera.
10. When you get home, be sure to watch the Goonies and revel in all its glory. At the appropriate points, scream "that's where we parked! we were there!!" and jump up and down.