Sunday, December 20, 2020

The good and bad of our pandemic fall

 The good

1. I got to see a new side of my kids. Especially my big L, who is really growing into a wonderful person. She is so responsible, and talented. I saw a lot more than I usually do in seeing her all day, doing school work and learning her new schedule.

2. I had a LOT of fun with my kids. In the summer, we swam at the pool (our pool, the club pool and the lake), berry picked, hiked around the neighborhood, baked and gardened. In the fall, we were at home more but still had fun. We have a lot of fun normally but the big difference during the pandemic is the feeling of time. During the pandemic, you have a lot of time to kill. Nothing really matters - whatever we don't do that day, we can just do tomorrow. It opens the door to a lot. We move in whatever direction we feel like and we don't worry too much about whatever plan we had. For example when we were at a fruit farm this summer, we saw some corn and stopped to check it out. It was so fun - I will probably remember stopping to look at the corn more than the fruit farm itself. normally we would not have felt that free.









The bad

1. we miss our friends and family soooo much

2. it is very stressful!

3. there is something that is harder to define, which is a deep disappointment in the culture of our country, particularly as a scientist, where people don't believe in the pandemic and at its root, they don't believe in science. There was a feeling (among myself and many other scientists) of screaming into the void. It was an enormous burden.

No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...