Friday, December 25, 2020

Pandemic - more good

 After writing the last post I realized there are more things I need to add into the good category - what's happened because of the pandemic. Don't get me wrong, there are many awful things, and I recognize that I have had it a lot better than most. But there's plenty to hear about the bad and I think it would be better for me right now to focus on the good, especially because there have been some really good things.

So, more of the Good:

1. We have all developed some new talents. For my big L, it's drawing. For my husband, it's home fixing and cooking (he's gotten especially into making sauces). For Little L it's learning about science (he has a whole spiel about how vaccines work that is truly amazing). For me, it's baking and sewing. I also got to do some gardening, I'm getting better at cleaning, and entertaining the kids. Basically, I'm learning to be domestic (in a 1950s kind of way). I wish I had learned these skills earlier!

2. We've saved some money. Money saved on childcare (and eating out, travel, and entertainment in general) turned into a treadmill (a really nice one!), a new basement floor, and re-grading our yard (not exciting but much needed). We also diverted some extra money into the kids college accounts and donations.

3. Home improvements. Being home made us finally get motivated to take care of some of the issues we needed to take care of. We refinished our deck, remodeled our basement bathroom, and did a bunch of small things like put up shelves and re-organized the garage.

4. I am becoming crazy efficient. To be fair, a lot of this might have to do with adrenaline. But I have started using some new methods to organize myself at work, get things done at home and keep track of things that are really effective.

5. Our family has gotten a lot closer. I feel so grateful that I enjoy my family enough to say this.


No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...