Saturday, May 21, 2011

New cookbook excitement!!

Our house is abuzz with the arrival (from the Amazon fairy) of a new cookbook, 'Deceptively Delicious' by Jessica Seinfeld. Yes, this is the famous Jerry Seinfeld's wife - but it stands well enough on its own. The book was pretty popular when it was released and I can see why - it's laid out very nicely and has a lot of amazingly easy and yummy-looking recipes in it.


The idea behind the book is that you can 'hide' vegetable purees in all kinds of regular food (in particular butternut squash and carrots, which I think are in about 50% of her recipes). Fortunately Layla LOVES vegetables so we haven't had any trouble getting her to eat them. But, she doesn't like every entree we give her and I felt like we might fall into a rut with the 5 or so things we know she'll like (spaghetti, pizza, mac & cheese, quinoa and bean salad, and pulled pork). So, we've been trying some new recipe books geared towards kids - or rather, the Amazing Studly Hubby, who does all the cooking in our house, has been trying new recipe books.

I've discovered that the recipes in this book are so easy I can even follow them. And some of the recipes are so simple you can't believe you've never heard of it. Tonight for dinner, I added butternut squash to our usual box mac & cheese and it was delicious (there is also a home-made mac & cheese recipe but who needs that?). I never would have thought of that! So, the the J & D household gives this recipe book 6 thumbs up.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

We just got this cookbook, too, and I really like the general concept behind it. We, too, are running out of good (and quick, and easy) toddler meals for Mia, so I'm hoping to try out a few of these new recipes soon. (I actually tried adding a can of white beans into her normal boxed mac 'n cheese last week, thinking that I could trick her into eating a few along with the pasta, but she wasn't fooled! I wasn't being deceptive enough!)

J-Funk said...

We just tried the hamburger/cauliflower recipe and it was delicious!! It's funny we both got the same recipe book at the same time. We're already big fans.

Coffee Recipes said...

Hello mmate great blog

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...