Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Pandemic facemasks and doctors

I've been sewing facemasks like a fiend. It's been a HUGE stress reducer. I'm giving them away as fast as I can sew them, too - everyone needs them now! It's been so fun finding cute fabric and playing with the patterns. I've just started wearing them a lot more now that I am going back to work. Now that I am wearing them, I am finding little ways to improve them and looking forward to rolling out production of FaceMask v2. 

Today, I took my daughter to the doctor for her yearly checkup. We are cancelling everything that is not essential especially those involving kids (because they put their fingers all over everything). But, she needed to go for several reasons so we put her in a face mask and took her. I gave her one of the first face masks I ever made, which I made too small on accident so it fits her well.


This picture is of my daughter and I in our facemasks. She's so cute in a face mask!

The doctor's office was a little different. We sat in our car and called the front desk when we got there. They sent out a nurse when they were ready for us. They took our temperatures before letting us in to the clinic (not that it helps). They had plexiglass in front of the reception area, and they spread the chairs out in the waiting area. All the doctors and nurses had face masks on (the good ones - N95s). They never took them off, not even to talk to us. 

There is new data suggesting face masks, even cloth ones, are a powerful protector against COVID. I'm all in on that idea. One can really express themselves through the type of face mask they wear, and you can also get out and about a bit more, which is really a nice relief after all that time at home. The trouble is, you always want to adjust it or pull it down to talk - my daughter was especially bad about this! And that brings new risk in. I kept having to coach her on proper face mask wearing. And try to remember myself. It's kind of exhausting! Hopefully, with time, we'll all get more used to it.

No comments:

Time to take a break

 What do you do to relax? These past two years I feel like I have forgotten how to relax. It reminds me a little of grad school and how afte...